The job of keeping Maymont’s animals happy and healthy is not for the faint of heart, but if you don’t mind getting a little dirty, this is a very gratifying job. Maymont is home to hundreds of animals, some of whom are orphaned or injured. Volunteers learn assist with native Virginia animals care. Please note animal keepers have very little contact with the animals themselves.
- Minimum Age: 18 years and older
- Time Commitment: At least two shifts per month for three months, shifts are 9am-12pm, Monday-Sunday
- Skills/Qualifications: Ability listen to and follow specific instructions, good communication skills, willingness to get dirty, able to bend, lift, and stand for an entire shift, comfortable with public speaking, able to care for animals without “play time” with them
- Training: Mandatory orientation held on the first Sunday of each month. Email our Volunteer Coordinator to sign up.
Help supervise activity in the barn and provide information about the animals to the public. This is a vital position, helping to ensure the safety of both the animals and guests, as well as providing a pleasant visitor experience.
- Minimum Age: 16 years and older
- Time Commitment: At least two shifts per month for a minimum of three months. Shifts available Monday-Sunday from 1-3pm or 2-5pm.
- Skills/Qualifications: Ability to listen and follow instructions, excellent communication skills, comfortable with public speaking, outgoing and engaging personality, comfortable being around a variety of animals, ability to work independently
- Training: Mandatory orientation provided. (Any interested volunteer under the age of 18 must meet with the Volunteer Coordinator prior to orientation.)
Bat Box Monitoring
In September 2022, we put up 4 bat boxes at Maymont. Bat boxes provide shelter for bats, to use for shelter and breeding. The goal of this project is to monitor all 4 boxes, at least once at month, to determine if bats are using our boxes for shelter and breeding. Volunteers will enter data into a Google Form.
- Minimum Age: All ages
- Time Commitment: Minimum one hour to walk to all 4 bat boxes. No set shifts.
- Skills/Qualifications: Interest in conservation, ability to navigate uneven and possibly muddy terrain, internet access.
- Training: Our environmental educators will provide you with an information sheet and can answer your questions via phone or email.
Interested? Contact our Environmental Education team at email@example.com or 804-358-7166 ext. 304
Estate Greeter (March-October)
Maymont is a 100-acre estate featuring a Gilded Age mansion, gardens, animal habitats, and a nature center. In order to help guests navigate the numerous attractions, we are in search of outgoing, friendly, and reliable volunteers to welcome guests to the estate. Greeters will engage guests to share basic information about the layout, offerings, and respectful use of Maymont.
- Minimum Age: All ages
- Time Commitment: At least one shift per month for three months, shifts are flexible
- Skills/Qualifications: Excellent communication skills, ability to work outdoors while standing for the entire shift, outgoing, friendly, and reliable
- Training: An orientation and quiz are offered online. Upon completion, volunteers will meet the Guest Services Manager to get started.
Like playing in the dirt? Maymont’s small team of professional horticulturists needs your help to maintain the estate’s 100 acres. Garden volunteers can be found pruning, raking, planting, shoveling and weeding their way through the day, all to make Maymont’s grounds and gardens more beautiful. No experience is necessary, we’ll teach you as you go!
- Minimum Age: 18 years or older
- Time Commitment: Shifts are available from 8:30am-12pm, 12:30-4:30pm, or 8:30am-4:30pm, Monday-Friday (no weekends)
- Skills/Qualifications: Ability to perform outdoor physical labor
- Training: Volunteers will learn on the job while working side by side with our horticulturalists.
Work alongside our top-notch team of environmental educators by engaging guests in learning about native Virginia wildlife in The Robins Nature Center and out on the grounds. Education volunteers are an integral part of providing accurate information and delightful experiences to all those who come to Maymont’s 100 acres.
- Minimum Age: 15 years or older
- Time Commitment: 2-4 hours per month
- Skills/Qualifications: Interest in environmental education, good communication skills, comfortable speaking in public, ability to stand for an extended period of time
- Training: Mandatory orientation provided.
A lot of work goes into operating Maymont’s 100 acres, and some of it happens behind a desk! Office assistants help a variety of departments, including Accounting, Special Events, Development, and Environmental Education. Tasks can range from filing and data entry to craft and event preparations. Whether you are looking for a crafty, hands-on position or something clerical, we have a task for you.
- Minimum Age: 18 or older
- Time Commitment: Varies by department
- Skills/Qualifications: May vary by department; must be detail-oriented, organized, punctual, responsible and have good time management skills
- Training: Provided on the job
To apply, complete our online volunteer application. Questions? Email our Volunteer Coordinator or call 804-358-7166, ext. 327.