Work at Maymont
We are always looking for talented professionals to join our organization. Email your resume and cover letter. EOE.
Part-Time Animal Keeper
This position cares for a variety of animals primarily at the Farm and for other animals in the collection. Maintains the health and appearance of animals, maintains exhibits and support areas, provides great guest experiences including participating in public programs on animal care/management / natural history. Shifts are from 7:30 am to 12 pm or 8 am to 4 pm. Hours average from 9 to 15 hours a week.
- Work will primarily be centered at the Children’s Farm but other duties within the animal care department may be requested.
- Animal husbandry, guest interaction and maintenance projects are a few of the tasks required to fill the position.
- High School Diploma and/or GED required.
- Applicant must be available to work weekends and holidays.
- Applicant must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- Experience working with animals is preferred.
Part-Time Seasonal Public Safety Associate (March-November)
Enforces Foundation rules and ensures a safe and friendly environment for guests at Maymont. Secures all buildings, grounds, and gates nightly. Reports to the Supervisor of Public Safety. This job is primarily outside so one must have the ability to work in all weather conditions including but not limited to heat, rain, and snow.
- Perform security checks nightly of all Foundation property including building, habitats, grounds, and parking lots and gates.
- Alerts the public via PA system that the grounds are closing and all gates will be locked nightly. Must ensure all public guests have left the grounds before securing gates and ending shift.
- Answering questions from guests in a courteous manner.
- Directing guests to the desired location.
- Must work weekends.
- Previous work related experience preferred.
- Must be able to remain calm in potentially stressful situations.
- Current CPR/First AID certification or willing to have training provided
- Ability to follow and give directions and work independently, as well as work as part of a team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to lift 40 lbs. and to perform physical tasks including standing, bending and walking in all weather and temperature conditions.
- A positive attitude about work, and life in general.
- Valid Drivers License and subject to DMV background check.
- Must pass a pre-employment background check.
Seasonal Groundskeeper (April-October)
The Groundskeeper performs landscape maintenance year-round throughout Maymont’s 100’s acres and adjoining properties, with an emphasis on lawn care. Reports to Manager of Horticulture and Grounds. This job is primarily outside so one must have the ability to work in all weather conditions including but not limited to heat, rain and snow.
- Landscape maintenance such as but not limited to grass cutting, leaf raking, trimming, brush removal and some seasonal planting
- Operate groundskeeping equipment and tools
- Perform routine maintenance on groundskeeping equipment and tools
- Assist with set-up for events and take down
- Maintain clean and organized work areas and storage spaces
- Occasional weekend work as needed, including storm clean-up and special event support
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience with operation of groundskeeping equipment and basic horticulture.
- GED or equivalent
- Experience with a zero-turn mower and two-cycle engine equipment such as but not limited to weed eater, blower, hedge clippers and chainsaw
- Ability to follow directions and work independently or as part of a team.
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to perform the manual work required: including lifting, carrying and climbing
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. and to perform physical tasks in all weather and temperature conditions
- A positive attitude towards work and life in general
- Valid Driver’s License and subject to DMV background check
- Ability to perform manual work including lifting, carrying and climbing
- Ability to lift at least 50 pounds or more
- Ability to sustain various periods of light to moderate-heavy physical activity
Golf Cart Tour Operator
The Golf Cart Tour Operator is a part-time position that provides safe and informative golf cart tours and excellent customer service to Maymont guests. Golf Cart Tour operators stay informed of all Maymont exhibits, events and programs. Engages and responds to guest inquiries while providing specific talking points in the drive around Maymont. Primarily weekends 9am–5pm, with occasional tours during the weekday and some holidays.
- Provides golf cart tours to registered participants; conducts tours in a timely manner to ensure tours are not running late
- Oversees the check-in process for registered participants
- Responsible for creating a welcoming and informative experience for registered participants
- Fosters a positive work environment with fellow employees
- Customer service experience required
- Excellent communication and visitor service skills required
- Museum/historic site interpretation a plus
- Desire to work with guests of all ages
- Ability to implement engaging interpretation of the tour talking points
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment background check and DMV check