Work at Maymont
We are always looking for talented professionals to join our organization. Email your resume and cover letter. EOE.
The Full-time Animal Keeper cares for a variety of animal species in Virginia Wildlife Exhibits and Farm. Some cross training may occur for care of animals in the Nature Center. The FT Animal Keeper maintains the health and appearance of animals, maintains exhibits and support areas, provides great guest experiences including participating in public programs. Maymont Foundation requires that all Full-time Animal Keepers receive or have received pre- or post- exposure rabies vaccination. Maymont will cover the cost of vaccination upon hiring should the candidate need pre-exposure vaccination. This position reports to the Sr. Manager of Zoology and works closely with the Manager of Animal Training.
- Animal Care: Cares for all animals within area of responsibility including, but not limited to, daily husbandry, behavioral enrichment, operant conditioning / training, and application of veterinary treatments. Responsible for all preventative medical care of animals in the collection (fecal floats, de-worming, vaccinations, etc.).
- Habitat Maintenance: Works independently and as a team member to maintain exhibit appearance. This includes the typical use of landscape tools such as a weed trimmers, lawn mowers, and leaf blowers. The FT Animal Keeper maintains, troubleshoots, and repairs animal facilities and equipment. He/she also participates in exhibit improvement, design, and other planning.
- Provides great guest experiences including individuals and groups by answering questions, giving behind-the-scenes tours, special programs/events, teaching workshops, and classes such as Junior Animal Keeper.
- Prepares and administers diets.
- Provides written and oral reports.
- The position requires researching data to properly understand and maintain the animals within area of responsibility.
- This position helps supervise interns, volunteers, students, and docents.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum: Associate degree in Zoo Animal Technology AND one year of professional animal care experience. Preferred: A Bachelor’s degree in zoology, biology, wildlife management, animal science or related natural science field.
- Great attitude, energy, enthusiasm.
- Knowledge of biological principals and terms.
- Knowledge and experience in animal husbandry to include disease and parasite control, animal nutrition, animal breeding, animal behavior and animal training.
- Ability to work effectively and professionally with co-workers and Maymont visitors.
- Ability to follow detailed written or oral instructions.
- Ability to perform the manual work required including lifting / carrying at least 50 pounds, climbing, crawling and jumping.
- Ability to work in inclement weather throughout the year.
- Must be willing to work weekend and holidays if required.
- Will be required to pass scheduled Basic First Aid and CPR employer-provided training and receive pre-exposure rabies vaccine.
- Must be knowledgeable about safety precautions and be willing to work with normal hazards associated with an animal care facility (e.g. disinfectant chemicals, potential zoonotic diseases, being wet).
- Additional skills and abilities preferred: experience in animal restraint and handling, use of operant conditioning techniques, hand and gardening tools, power tools, farm tractor, personal computer, microscope, first aid equipment.
Part-Time Animal Keeper
This position cares for a variety of animals primarily at the Farm and for other animals in the collection. Maintains the health and appearance of animals, maintains exhibits and support areas, provides great guest experiences including participating in public programs on animal care/management / natural history. Shifts are from 7:30 am to 12 pm or 8 am to 4 pm. Hours average from 9 to 15 hours a week.
- Work will primarily be centered at the Children’s Farm but other duties within the animal care department may be requested.
- Animal husbandry, guest interaction and maintenance projects are a few of the tasks required to fill the position.
- High School Diploma and/or GED required.
- Applicant must be available to work weekends and holidays.
- Applicant must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- Experience working with animals is preferred.