Work at Maymont
Maymont Foundation is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are always looking for talented professionals to join our organization. Email your resume and cover letter.
Cares for fish and other taxa in the Nature Center, maintains health and appearance of animals, maintains support areas including water testing lab and life support systems, teaches public programs on aquarium operations and fish biology, and may work in animal care outside the Nature Center building as needed. Supports Maymont special events, programs, and other activities. Reports to Sr. Manager of Zoology.
- Maintains health and appearance of all animals within the Nature Center such as fish, amphibians, reptiles (including venomous), raptors and mammals. This includes (but not limited to) preparing diets, feeding, cleaning, observation, enrichment and animal training using operant conditioning and positive reinforcement.
- Maintains exhibit appearance by working independently and with other animal care staff. Maintains, troubleshoots, and repairs life support systems (LSS)
- Works in other animal areas such as farm and wildlife habitats as needed.
- Maintains daily records including (but not limited to) inventory, animal health, and water quality data.
- Educates and informs individual guests and groups through answering questions, guiding behind-the-scenes tours, teaching workshops, and supervising interns, volunteers, and students
- Analyzes water samples for dissolved gases, nutrients, heavy metals, pH, salinity temperatures, and medications to assure adequate water quality for animal health
- Participates in exhibit improvement, design, and other planning.
- Supports the organization by participating in special events, programs, and activities.
Education and Experience
- Minimum Requirement: Associate’s degree in Zoo Animal Technology or equivalent accepted education and one year of professional experience in a public aquarium, zoo or related facility using closed life support systems.
- Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in biology, ichthyology, marine science, zoology, or related natural science field with a working knowledge of native freshwater fauna.
Skills and Abilities
- Must have SCUBA certification within six months of employment. SCUBA certification prior to employment is preferred.
- Knowledge of aquatic animal husbandry to include disease and parasite control, animal nutrition, animal breeding, animal behavior and animal training. Understanding of biology, ecology, physics, and chemistry principles.
- Basic knowledge of electricity, plumbing and mechanical aspects of aquarium life support systems is preferred.
- Ability to work effectively with co-workers and Maymont visitors. Ability to follow detailed written or oral instructions.
- Ability to perform the manual work required including lifting / carrying at least 50 pounds, climbing, crawling and jumping. Ability to work in inclement weather throughout the year. Must be willing to work weekends, evenings, and holidays as needed.
- Will be required to pass employer-provided Basic First Aid and CPR training. Must be knowledgeable about safety precautions and be willing to work with normal hazards associated with an animal care facility (for example: disinfectant chemicals, potential zoonotic diseases, being wet).
- Additional skills and abilities preferred: experience in animal restraint and handling, use of operant conditioning techniques, use of hand and gardening tools, power tools, personal computer, microscope, first aid equipment.
- Valid driver’s license, background check.
All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Benefits: PTO and health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance; and retirement savings plan.
COVID-19 Considerations: To keep staff safe, hand sanitizer, gloves, masks and other personal protective equipment are provided as appropriate. Staff work independently from volunteers to practice safe distancing.
To apply, email your resume and cover letter. EOE.