Work at Maymont
We are always looking for talented professionals to join our organization. Email your resume and cover letter. EOE.
Senior Curator, Historical Resources and Collections
Serves as lead content expert, senior level curator, and estate-wide historian reporting to the Executive Director. Responsible for the documentation, presentation, exhibition and interpretation of Maymont’s historical resources and collections, and the development and implementation of related goals, objectives and plans that fulfill the mission of the Maymont Foundation. Along with conservation/preservation experts, participates in the management of Maymont’s historic objects and structures including the Mansion, Carriages and historic estate out buildings and structures. Oversees the Collections management team and related conservation/preservation efforts. Serves as key support for the Programming and Community Engagement team.
The incumbent will develop ways in which objects, archives and artworks can engage the public and be interpreted through exhibitions, publications, technology and events. In addition, he/she will organize exhibitions; arrange for restoration projects, period room improvements, general care of, and preservation and conservation of historical collections. Areas of responsibility will require him/her to work collaboratively with other areas within the Foundation, including Park Operations, Finance, Development, Horticulture, Special Events and Facility Rentals, and Marketing.
- Ensures proper documentation of Maymont and Dooley history in addition to the historic buildings, structures, objects and carriage collections.
- Manages maintenance of historical collections and archive databases.
- Reviews possible accessions (donations to the collections); proposes acquisitions and deaccessions.
- Manages coordination of collection surveys, expert consultations, appraisals, insurance, etc.
- Reviews and opines on other collections related activities (e.g. loan requests, special access).
- Assists with prioritization, planning and budgeting of work with experts on mansion and object preservation/conservation/restoration projects.
- Researches, plans and coordinates historic exhibitions as well as implementation of period room furnishings, improvements to engagement, authenticity, decorations and special exhibits.
- Engages with consultants, conservators, preservation architects, and other specialists who work with mansion and object preservation/conservation projects.
- Writes grants and makes presentations for preservation, historic interpretation, conservation, and museum initiatives.
- Assists with planning and coordination of Maymont Preservation Council activities, projects and benefit fulfillment.
- Consult and collaborate with Development and Donor cultivation for Historical Collections.
- Maintains ongoing relationship with Dooley family descendants.
- Collaborates on interpretation planning and proposed improvements to tours, presentations, exhibitions and engagement activities with historical experts.
- Provides resources for interpreter training and assists with continuing interpreter and staff education; drafts materials for interpreters, programming and all staff related to content.
- Researches, drafts and edits materials related to Maymont and Dooley history.
- Conducts or assigns required research.
- Serves as Department contact for Historical Collections Sub-Committee, Facilities and Physical Resources Committee and Strategic Planning Ad Hoc Committee. Seeks counsel of its members as needed.
- Responds to general information requests related to historic Maymont; writes and reviews copy upon request.
- Ensure the maintenance and treatment of Maymont historical resources and collections in accordance with Maymont policy and guidelines for best practices.
- Collaborates with and supports the Marketing Department with publications and promoting national attention for Maymont.
- Supports development, marketing, programs, special events and visitor services staff needs.
- Prepares monthly, annual, and special reports.
- Develops and monitors operating and special project budgets.
- Represents Maymont and presents historical content lectures, outreach, community and stakeholder presentations and studies/ reports.
- Supervises Sr. Collections Manager, part time collections techs, and special project temporary staff.
- Collaborates with public safety and all Maymont staff on emergency and disaster response plans for the Mansion and Carriage Department.
- Other duties as required.
- Masters of Arts in History, Art History, Architectural History, Museum Studies, Historic Preservation, Decorative Arts or related discipline
- 5 years’ experience in museum, historic collections or house museum management
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to organize, present and communicate message through design
- Excellent project management and organizational skills
- Knowledge of fundraising and cultural projects
- Working knowledge of museum databases and information technology
- Good team work skills with demonstrated flexibility to achieve goals
- Strong customer service skills
- Excellent research capabilities
- Desire to be helpful and contribute to the overall success of the enterprise
- Ability to work in historical structures and settings, including the ability to walk and climb stairs and ladders as well as lift up to 50 pounds.
Guest Services (Part-Time)
This part-time position provides excellent customer service to guests at the Robins Nature and Visitor Center.
- Guest Services staff stays informed of all Maymont exhibits, events and programs
- Engages and responds to guest inquiries; processes admission fees, shop and café sales
- Interacts with guests of all ages including school groups
- Processes admission fees, membership and merchandise sales
- Primarily weekends 9 – 5, some weekdays as schedule allows
- Must have retail or customer service experience
- Computer experience required
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment background check
Public Safety Associate, Seasonal (Aug-Nov)
Enforces Foundation rules and ensures a safe and friendly environment for guests at Maymont. Secures all buildings, grounds and gates nightly. Reports to the Manager of Public Safety and Amenities.
- Perform security checks nightly of all Foundation property including building, habitats, grounds and parking lots and gates.
- Alerts the public via PA system that the grounds are closing and all gates will be locked nightly. Must ensure all public guests have left the grounds before securing gates and ending shift.
- Answering questions from guests in a courteous manner.
- Directing guests to desired location.
- Must work weekends.
- Previous work-related experience preferred.
- Must be able to remain calm in potentially stressful situations.
- Current CPR/First AID certification or willing to have training provided.
- Ability to follow and give directions and work independently, as well as work as part of a team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to lift 40 lbs. and to perform physical tasks including standing, bending and walking in all weather and temperature conditions.
- A positive attitude about work, and life in general.
- Valid Drivers License and subject to DMV background check.
- Must pass pre-employment background check.
Weekend/Evening Event Coordinator
This position coordinates and oversees onsite event rentals. Works with clients, caterers and other vendors for successful implementation of day of event services. May include meeting with potential clients regarding future rentals.
Must be conscientious and outgoing with a high level of customer service. Excellent communication skills and the ability to work independently are necessary. Must be able to troubleshoot and positively represent Maymont. Position requires frequent standing and walking and ability to lift 25 pounds. Must pass a pre-employment background check and have valid driver’s license.