Maymont’s 100-acre classroom offers unique learning opportunities to incorporate into your planning for the school year. Our environmental educators offer exciting, hands-on adventures that get students up-close and personal with the wonders of the natural world. Students can also discover the fascinating world of the Gilded Age and learn about the lives of the new millionaire class in America as well as those of the working class in a period of dramatic economic, social and technological change. All on-site programs meet Virginia’s Standards of Learning for either Science or History and Social Science.
Learning opportunities are also available for pre-school classes, after-school programs and homeschool programs. Educators can come to you, too! Outreach Animal Encounters, with birds, insects or reptiles, are offered Monday through Friday during regular school hours.
- Call the appropriate department Monday-Friday between 9am-4:30pm for a reservation: Maymont Nature Center, 804-358-7168; Maymont Mansion, 804-358-7166, ext. 329.
- Reservations are required 15 days in advance for all group visits and are available on a first come, first served basis. Maymont reserves the right to deny admission to any group without a 15-day advance reservation.
- Upon registration, a confirmation packet will be sent. Please complete and return the confirmation form to guarantee your reservation. Failure to return confirmations within three weeks (or payment one week in advance) may result in cancellation of the program.
- If reservations must be cancelled, please call Maymont immediately. Due to limited availability, programs are not guaranteed to be rescheduled.
- One adult chaperone is required for each 10 students.
- Group size is limited to 30 students per program.
- Notify Maymont staff in advance of any special needs for mentally or physically challenged students or gifted students so appropriate accommodations can be made.