Cares for a variety of animal species in Virginia Wildlife Exhibits and Children’s Farm. Some cross training may occur for care of animals in the Nature Center. Maintains health and appearance of animals, maintains exhibits and support areas, provides great guest experiences including participating in public programs on animal care / management / natural history.
- Animal Care: Cares for all animals within area of responsibility including (but not limited to) daily husbandry, behavioral enrichment, operant conditioning / training and application of veterinary treatments. Responsible for all preventative medical care of animals in the collection (fecal exams, de-worming and vaccinations).
- Habitat Maintenance: Works independently and as a team member to maintain exhibit appearance. Typical use of landscape tools such as a weed trimmer is a daily task in the Spring thru Fall. Maintains, troubleshoots and repairs animal facilities and equipment. Participates in exhibit improvement, design and other planning.
- Provides great guest experiences including individuals and groups by answering questions, giving behind-the-scenes tours, special programs/events, teaching workshops and classes such as Junior Animal Keeper.
- Prepares and administers diets.
- Provides written and oral reports.
- Researches data to properly understand and maintain the animals within area of responsibility.
Education/Experience/Skills required: Minimum requirements: Associate degree in Zoo Animal Technology AND one year of professional animal care experience. Preferred requirements: A Bachelor’s degree in zoology, biology, wildlife management, animal science or related natural science field.
Knowledge of biological principals and terms. Knowledge and experience in animal husbandry to include disease and parasite control, animal nutrition, animal breeding, animal behavior and animal training. Ability to follow detailed written or oral instructions. Ability to perform the manual work required including lifting / carrying at least 50 pounds, climbing, crawling and jumping. Ability to work in inclement weather throughout the year. Must be willing to work weekend and holidays if required.
Email cover letter and resume. EOE.